Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2026

Interview with Timothy Brewington for Woodbury City Council 2026

 Here's our interview with Timothy Brewington who is running for Woodbury city council this fall 2026. 

1.) Tell us about yourself, your family, career, and in short why you are running?


My family and I have proudly called Woodbury home for more than 13 years. We were drawn here by the excellent schools, beautiful parks, welcoming neighborhoods, and strong sense of community. Professionally, I'm a pastor, but my work has always been centered on serving people. I care for my son with special needs, support nonprofit organizations, help families through difficult seasons, coach startup nonprofits, and mentor emerging leaders. Those experiences have taught me that leadership is about listening, earning trust, bringing people together, and solving problems. As we became involved in the community, I realized that if I was going to enjoy everything Woodbury offered my family, I also had a responsibility to help make it even better. That commitment has guided my community service for more than a decade.
Today, I'm running for City Council to help protect what we love about Woodbury while planning wisely for the future, reducing the tax burden on residents, and maintaining the high quality city services our community expects.

2.) You mention GTAB on your campaign website. Green space, Transportation, Affordability, and Business. 
a.) Green space, we have over 60 parks and over 180 miles of trails in Woodbury. It's expensive to maintain, $2.4 million a year... $10.4 if you include park replacement equipment and paving trails. Do you think more parks and trails is responsible?
Woodbury's parks and trails are one of the reasons so many families choose to live here. They improve our quality of life, strengthen neighborhoods, and provide places for recreation and community. As a City Council member, my priority would be maintaining the parks, trails, and recreational facilities we already have before committing to significant new expansion. Responsible government means taking care of our existing investments while being mindful of the tax burden on residents.
I believe future parks and trails should be added strategically, not automatically. As new areas are developed, growth should include appropriate green space, with developers helping provide the amenities needed to serve those neighborhoods whenever practical. That approach allows Woodbury to grow responsibly while reducing long-term costs to taxpayers. We should continue protecting what makes Woodbury special while making fiscally responsible decisions that balance recreation, growth, and affordability for both current residents and future generations.

b.) Transportation, Woodbury has great roads thanks to the city crews. There's no controversy on that. However, there's worry about the return on investment with the $500 million dollar Gold Line. Our Woodbury stop is one of 16 on the corridor. In its best month it had 2,500 monthly rides from our station since it opened over a year ago. We spent over $100 million from Washington County alone and we spend $13.1 million a year on it now for our one Woodbury stop. We need yearly rides, so multiply 2,500 by 12 months a year and you get 30,000 rides a year. Divide that by two because each rider takes two rides a day. Take that and divide it by the $13.1 million and you get $86 per rider a day. Multiply that by 20 working days in a month, that's $1,700 a month per rider. That's $20,640 a year per rider from the Woodbury station. The average car loan is 5 years, with a $1700 a month payment (7% interest) we could buy each rider a $87,000 car every 5 years for cheaper.  Do you support building on that and expanding the service deeper into Woodbury as they propose? 
Before supporting any proposal to expand the Gold Line deeper into Woodbury, I believe we need a careful review of the available data.
I want to see clear evidence of actual ridership, long-term operating costs, projected demand, and the overall value the service provides to Woodbury residents. Just as importantly, I want to hear from residents and businesses about whether expanded service meets a genuine community need.
As a City Council member, my responsibility is to advocate for Woodbury residents and ensure that any future transportation investments affecting our community are supported by facts, not assumptions. I am open to expanding transit if the evidence demonstrates that it improves mobility, serves residents well, and represents a responsible use of public resources. Until then, I believe any decision about expanding the Gold Line should be made cautiously, transparently, and based on measurable results.

c.) Affordability, The current city council approved a 10% tax increase last year. They built a $42 million dollar city center and now they're building an extravagant $60 million dollar public safety building. We have roundabouts that cost $3 million dollars plus each. How can we have affordability with no cuts and massive spending? Would you change that?
Affordability requires fiscal discipline, transparency, and long term planning. I support investing in public safety, infrastructure, and other essential city services, but every major expenditure should be carefully evaluated to ensure it is necessary, appropriately sized, and delivers real value to residents. One of my biggest concerns is preparing for the day when the 3M settlement funds supporting water treatment are no longer available. We need a responsible long term funding strategy now so residents are not faced with significant tax or utility increases in the future. Yes, I would bring a different approach to budgeting. I believe every line item deserves careful review. Like families across Woodbury, the City must set priorities, make difficult choices, look for efficiencies, and delay projects when appropriate. My goal is not simply to spend less or spend more. It is to spend wisely. Every tax dollar belongs to the residents, and every budget decision should reflect that responsibility.

d.) Business, How do we attract high paying jobs that provide needed services to Woodbury?
One of the things I appreciate most about Woodbury is that residents can find most of the goods and services they need right here in our community. We already have a strong business community, and I want to continue supporting the businesses that have invested in Woodbury. I also believe we have an opportunity to attract more high paying employers so more residents have the option to work closer to home. We can do that by maintaining a business friendly environment, making the development process predictable and efficient, investing in infrastructure that supports responsible growth, and working closely with our local business community to understand what employers need to succeed. At the same time, I don't believe we should pursue growth at any cost. New businesses should complement our community, create quality jobs, and enhance the quality of life that makes Woodbury such a great place to live. My goal is to help Woodbury remain a place where businesses and families both thrive.

3.) What are your thoughts on the new flock cameras being used in Woodbury? They may be useful to catch stolen vehicles and felons with warrants; but people are concerned they're going to lead to traffic tickets and invasion of privacy.
I serve on the Woodbury Public Safety Multicultural Advisory Committee, where the Flock camera system was presented after the program began. Our committee asked detailed questions about privacy, camera locations, data collection, data access, and whether the system would improve public safety.
One of the potential benefits I saw was the ability to help locate stolen vehicles or wanted suspects without unnecessarily putting officers or the public at risk through high speed pursuits. At the same time, I recognized the importance of protecting residents' privacy. Since then, I have continued to learn more about Flock cameras and the concerns being raised in communities across the country. I believe the program deserves a thorough public review to determine whether it is achieving its intended purpose and whether the privacy protections are working as promised. Public safety and personal privacy are both important. We should be committed to protecting both.

4.) What are your thoughts on data centers? People are concerned about their power and water usage and the noise they create, among other things.
We all rely on technology every day, but that does not mean every community is the right location for large scale data centers. The challenge is balancing innovation with protecting the quality of life that makes Woodbury a great place to live. Based on the information currently available, I have significant concerns about large scale data centers locating in Woodbury. My concerns include their impact on infrastructure, water resources, energy demand, noise, the environment, and the long term costs that could ultimately affect residents. I also believe Woodbury residents deserve complete transparency. Before any proposal moves forward, the public should have access to the facts, understand the potential impacts, and have a meaningful opportunity to participate in the decision making process. At this time, I do not believe large scale data centers are the right fit for Woodbury.

5.) What else would you like to tell us? How can people find you online?
More than anything, I want people to know that I am genuinely grateful for the opportunity to serve this community.
Woodbury has given my family far more than a place to live. It has given us lasting friendships, opportunities to serve, and a community we are proud to call home.
Whether we agree on every issue or not, I promise to listen, be accessible, and treat every resident with respect. I believe good leadership begins by listening before making decisions. To learn more about my campaign, visit VoteTimBrewington.com, follow Tim Brewington for Woodbury City Council on Facebook, or email me at info@votetimbrewington.com. I would welcome the opportunity to hear your ideas and earn your support.